Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blog post #3

"A Vision of Students Today"
I found this video to be very intriguing, I think it makes a very solid point, maybe more than any of the other videos that I have watched on or similar to this subject matter. I wouldn't really add anything to the film, it really captures my college expirience mostly and probably of those around me.
The point that I get from this video is that technology in the classroom can save us. It can be used to further advance the teaching skills of instructors and also keep the students interested and informed, which I think is the biggest and most important thing. Technology can save us, but we have to accept it.

"It's not about the Technology"
I really enjoyed what Ms. Hines was writing about. She seems very knowledgeable on the subject matter. I think the point that stands out the most in my mind is the section that states "teachers must be learners". I could not agree more. Teachers MUST be open and willing to new ideas and new teaching concepts. I think the worst thing that can happen is for a teacher to "set their ways". I have encountered many teachers in my 18 years of schooling that have been like this, some of them very good educators, but they refused to wrap their minds around new concepts. As a teacher, you are dealing with human beings that are at and are THE forefront of new technology and innovation, and need to be savy on these ideas to both keep your students interested and to help you understand them better.

"Is it ok to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher"
I like what Mr. Fisch is trying to say here. I absolutely agree with him that it is NOT ok to be a technologically illiterate teacher. Teachers need to be on the cutting edge of new technology and need to learn that school is way beyond the chalkboard now.
I think his statement "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write" is a little harsh, but it is harshly TRUE. If there are some teachers out there who embrace the new technology, then the teachers who do not are depriving their students of a well rounded education.

"Gary's social media Count"
This is very astounding and over welming, however it does not surprise me. I think it shows the advancements of our world into new technology.
This applies to everyone. I think the most humorous figure was the number of new internet users was one of the smallest figures, this just shows how many people use the web.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think technology can "save us." But used appropriately it can certainly help us learn and work more efficiently.

    Interesting point about the slowing rate of growth in the number of internet users since the number has grown so much already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sum everything up very well. Technology can help out a lot in the classroom when used correctly. I also agree on what you said that the shouldn't be a technologically illiterate teacher. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete