Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blog Post #4

"Don't teach this stuff to your kids, please."
I enjoyed this post, it was fairly straight and to the point. I think it would be good for all parents to read. I think some parents who are respectifully "internet ignorant" just ban all these types of things (or try to) from their kids and do not realize that the internet and social networking site CAN be very useful and informational to kids and to parents.
Parents hear all of the horrifying stories, but if they also use some of these online tools and resources, it can even help with their relationship with their child.

"The Ischool initiative"
This was a very interesting video, it was also very informative. I would have loved to have this program when I was in high school. I think it would totally work, as long as the teachers were willing to make an initiative towards the concept.
I can very much relate to the subject matter because I use many of these applications that the student talks about on my iphone to help me with my school work. The main one being the 'calendar' application, to help me remember online and non-online assignment due dates.

"The Lost Generation"
I have to say, I was slightly shocked with the subjuect matter of the video until I saw the 'reverse' of the words. This video makes a great point, in that we CAN change the world, but every person MUST make an effort to do so.
I really enjoyed the format in which the video was presented, it was very eye opening. This probably took a lot of time to do and I have to say that the creator made their point, at least in my eyes.

"Virtual Choir"
This was really cool. The entire coordination of the video was by far the most impressive thing. This is one of the examples of thinking 'outside of the box' to use the internet.

2 comments:

  1. Well, apparently the calendar I have on line didn't work as far as this blog post goes. Four days late. If you are late for your tee time, what happens? You are disqualified.

    Would you like to work in an iSchool? Would you help bring one about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bradley, I'm glad you got your post up. You have some valuable comments. I agree with you regarding parent's tendency to overreact when it comes to providing their kids access to technology. It can be a scary thing when you are not a technologically literate person. I think the best way for parents to manage their fears is to get involved and try out all of the things their kids are using on the computer. There is much more danger in not being aware of your kids activities than the simple fact that they are participating in technology.

    Also, about ischool, I think I commented that I thought is was a possibility, but I am not sold on the idea for many reasons. First of all- kids need school, refering to the physical aspect of attending school. What in the world would working parents do if children did not have to leave home for school? That's just not practical. I think we will see some of the idea, just not to that extreme. Ischool pretty much already exists for many college students, but for younger kids it is hard for me to see how it would logistically work.

    ReplyDelete